● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 5 April 2020

It beats crying

Neighbour Richy asked could he bring us
anything from Tesco. Yes please, we said. These
appeared (full) on the doorstep. Guess why
I like making people laugh. It’s socially rewarding, of course, but it also has psychological advantages.

Make someone laugh and you’ve aroused their interest. That’s always worthwhile even if it may be fundamentally selfish.

As in France where laughter can be a powerful conversational tool. Laughing Frenchmen are comparatively rare. Address one in French and he’ll immediately detect the foreign accent. His face takes on a certain remoteness, a certain condescension. He imagines he’s starting out on top.

Let’s suppose he operates a DIY shop and I’m looking for bath taps. “They must be easy to operate,” I say. He nods. I pause, then add casually, “Although I’m English I do wash regularly.”

That initial pause may disconcert him; have I been struck dumb? However the following admission will not only surprise him it may suggest this is how Frenchmen do, or should, regard Brits. Other nationalities would apologise here. Not the French. My DIY man laughs knowingly, showing he’s in on the joke. Spreads his hand on the counter, better disposed to listen, to treat me as an equal.

Doctors are different. They are endowed with built-in superiority. You are a medical conundrum that needs resolving, often a humdrum and familiar collection of defects. This mode has been repeated a thousand times.

You stop, you sigh, you wriggle in your chair. You say, “These symptom confessions are a problem. Too much detail and I appear paranoid and self-centred. Too little and I’m surly, perhaps resenting the fact you’re not a herbalist.”

Hey, I’m sympathetic. There’s not much to laugh at in the average doctor’s surgery. Especially now. Doctors enjoy an occasional laugh. Indulge them. You may save the human race.

TECHNO-NOTE
This post attracted NO COMMENTS. I wasn't offended; it has happened before. Tone Deaf is not one of the world's must-reads.

But perhaps you tried and didn't get through. Perhaps - for reasons unknown - the system didn't pick up your blogonym automatically. This is required info; without it a comment is blocked. However if the slot adjacent to "Commenting as:" is blank, just fill in your blogonym manually and the comment should go through. When you make your next comment (I'm been terribly optimistic in this) the previously empty slot should now carry your blogonym and all should be well.

6 comments:

  1. Test email from VR's mobile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second test email from RR's mobile

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your doctor has an in-built superiority then I suggest you swap him for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share my Garden: From retired editor to retired illustrator, welcome! But does that mean my GP should be humble? I'm not sure humility becomes a doctor. The job encourages an incipient sense of world domination. Better that than a disabling shyness that prevents him from asking me to drop my pants. But perhaps it takes one to know one. I don't know many humble editors, retired or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't appreciate humility any more than superiority. A straightforward approach and a sense of humour would be good. Himself went for a prostate test, dropped his pants and bent over, said to the female doctor, "this hasn't happened to me since Eton." He waited to hear her laugh, but all was silent. He felt a bit of a prat as he pulled his pants back up but we laughed uproariously when he got home!

      Delete